Hummingbird’s document management solution helps track, manage and store documents electronically. Owners of the spreadsheets, product data sheets, documents, artifacts use the product lifecycle management functionality to manage various versions and also tracking the change history. Documents & Specifications can be considered as part of a bill of material of an actual product. The system can be used to manage document bill of material.
Document change process can be managed using the document change order process that goes through a typical change review board process for a full scale review and approval process. Once the approval is complete the document is released to production lifecycle state.
Best Practices for Document Management
- Consistent Folder Structure – Maintaining a consistent creation of file folders for each document type.
- Consistent Naming of Documents – Keeping consistency in naming the documents helps users with an easy searchable functionality.
- Granting Access to Documents and File Permissions – Setting up role-based security feature within the system. User groups and individual users are created with pre-set access rights. In other words, this allows an administrator to determine what kind of access each user will have, including what file folders they have access to and what type of access they have for documents.
- Setting Appropriate Document Retention Policies – Setting up rules and regulations on how long companies must maintain a copy of their documents. The options could be purging, moving (archiving) and copying the files into a secured storage location.
- Sharing Files Securely – The files are stored in respective folders and only authorized users have access to these documents. Even adding an extra layer of encryption makes the file more secured.
- Internal and External Audit Compliance – All documents should go through an yearly auditing process for its validity & correctness.